Monday, January 27, 2014

"…but I’m a Sister too." a short poem

"…but I’m a Sister too."

I sit in silence on the pew watching those who come and go
I see the families, moms and dads, the kids all running to and fro
I watch the ladies who are talking just outside the chapel doors
I see young men in shirts and ties all looking like they’re fairly bored.

But watching them I barely see, a man comes up to talk to me.
He says my name, extends his hand, and shakes mine firmly like a man

He tells me how he’s doing and he asks what in my life is new
I just say something trite and try to keep from looking at my shoes.
He smiles and pats me on the back to show me that he really cares
But I can’t help but feel the situation I’m in isn’t fair.

It’s not his fault he only sees, the shirt and tie that define me
But I wish that he only knew, he’s talking to a Sister too.

After church I see the same two women talking in the hall.
Apparently there is a charity drive at the local mall.
I want to know more so I ask if it’s okay if I attend?
They smile politely and they say this isn’t something that’s for men.

It’s hard hold back how I feel, I just cannot believe its real
But I wish that they only knew, they’re talking to a Sister too.

Kate Marsh

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,

    I just found your blog. I'm LDS and experience gender dysphoria, too, and it has made a rough road of life in many respects. Church is so hard, and this poem captures that very poignantly.

    Good luck and best wishes with everything. I hope you feel loved by God and your partner.

    ReplyDelete